Fast answers to your most common questions.
We're here to answer any questions you may have about the markets and your investments. Many common questions are answered in the FAQs we've organized for you below. As always, feel free to call us, visit our website, or use our mobile app to get the information you need.
How do I place a trade?
Use the Trade Stocks & ETFs order entry page to submit an order to buy, sell or sell short a stock or ETF. You'll need to complete three steps: Enter the specifics of your stock order including symbol, quantity and order type, verify your order, then submit your order.
The All-In-One Trade Ticket is designed to give you easier access to multiple asset types within the same trade ticket. See our Trading FAQs below for more information.
How do I transfer funds?
Whether you want to move funds among your accounts at Schwab or from external accounts, our step-by-step process will walk you through it.
How do I deposit or mail a check?
If you need to mail in a check for account deposit, visit the mailing address location page.
Account Maintenance FAQs.
- Where do I mail a check, application, or account update form?
- How do I send a wire?
How to Trade
- How do I place a trade on the Schwab website?
- Where can I find the status of an order?
- How do I change or cancel an open order?
- Can I change or cancel an order once it has been filled?
- What is form W-8BEN?
- Why do I need to fill out a W-8BEN?
- What happens if I do not complete/update Form W-8BEN?
- What is foreign tax identification number (FTIN)?
- Where can I complete a W-8BEN form?
- My account has joint holders. Does each account holder need to submit a separate W8-BEN form?
Asset Protection FAQs
- How does Schwab protect your assets?
- Are there additional protections for Schwab clients?